The Eureka Polyclinic in Bobo Dioulasso is a 4 storey, secondary level health unit that opened in January 2016.
We have a 5 year agreement with the Ministry of Health. We made a specific decision to integrate within the existing State apparatus and not to operate in our own orbit.
The 3 main revenue generating activites are:
Eureka provides health consultancy services across a range of specialisations (dentistry, ophthalmology, cardiology, radiology, hepto-gastrology) as well as a GP service.
- Eureka has a well-equipped laboratory providing lab services (e.g. blood tests) to both Eureka customers and 3rd parties who have no laboratory.
- Eureka has a pharmacy embedded in the hospital that currently only serves Eureka customers. A licence is being sought in order to open the pharmacy to the general public.
The Eureka Polytechnic opened in January 2016 and towards the end of 2016 a significant investment was made in equipment that lead to a material increase in patient numbers.
We track consultancies weekly as being the main footfall indicator and we post periodic updates to our Instagram.
Our objective is to reach economic break even by the end of 2018. This will give us the platform to start delivering on our objective – healthcare access for all irrespective of ability to pay as future profits beyond breakeven will subsidise those unable to pay.
Where we are now
Construction is complete and we opened the Eureka Hopital to the general public late in 2015. Our goals by the end of 2018 are to prove the concept of sustainable healthcare delivery by:
- Be breakeven at the operating cost level
- Be treating 20,000 patients a year
- Have initiated an outreach programme in to the surrounding villages
Key to this is:
- Fully equipping the hospital to be in a position to offer a wide range of healthcare services
- Development of auxiliary services (optometry, pharmacy, internet café) to enhance cost recovery
- Continuous identification and sponsoring of medical graduates through specialisation